Friday, January 16, 2015

Why Start a Blog?



It seems to me that the act of creating a blog requires at least some small degree of arrogance. In creating a blog you are making an assumption, not only that you have something important to say, but that people might actually care about what you have to say enough to read it. Otherwise you wouldn’t write, or you at least wouldn’t post what you write on the internet. For my part, I do believe that I have some valuable things to share. I have no idea how many people will be interested in what I have to say, and I assume it probably won’t be very many, but hopefully at least a small handful of people will take the time to occasionally read what I write.

I hope that, by embracing this new medium, it will enable me to more accurately express my thoughts than I am able to do on platforms like Facebook which encourage brevity over substance. I don’t believe in easy answers or lazy thinking, and I refuse to believe something just because it is popular or I am expected to do so. My opinions on most issues are complicated and complex. Whenever I seek to share something I care about in short synopsis form on Facebook, I invariably misrepresent myself and am misunderstood by many of the people reading my posts. I am a firm believer in paradox and balance, and I tend towards the use of dialectic in my argumentation. All of those qualities lead to my need of a less restricting medium in order to adequately express myself.

Though this blog is not dedicated to any particular subject, it is safe to assume that most of the posts will lean towards either religion or politics, because those are the two topics I am most passionate about and interested in. I also believe that they are the two most important subjects for people to think about, because our conclusions in these two areas largely determine the outcome of our state of being in both this life and the one to come. Politics governs the quality of life we have as citizens, while religion determnes the quality of our eternal soul and our peace in this life and the one to come. One caveat I feel necessary to share regarding my posts on religion is that those posts are usually targeted specifically towards those who confess to be Christian. I hope that even non-believers would read them and find some benefit in doing so, but ultimately I am addressing the Church. I do not expect non-Christians to believe and act like Christians or to properly understand theological matters. Such posts aim to either stir the Church or to correct misrepresentations of my faith that I see being propagated by those within and without the Body of Christ.

My goal in this introductory post is simply to introduce my blog and lay some groundwork for understanding the paradigm which will shape it. If you’ve read this far then I have already exceeded expectations, and I thank you for being a part of my journey. Hopefully from time to time, you will stop back in and maybe find something you think was worth your time reading.



Thanks and God bless,
       Jeremy Wilson

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your blogs! Some things you say step on my toes, or make me give some ideas, more than just a passing thought. -Sarah from TM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be good. But don't give up on stirring the FB waters. ~ Jeff

    ReplyDelete